Activity 4 – Block Play – 10%
- To reflect on how block play supports and enhances children’s learning and development.
- Collaborate and design an illustration of a block play area
- Engage in personal and group reflection
- Complete additional reflections on your own
- This is a group and individual assignment. The work you submit must be your own. You must cite and reference in APA format when you paraphrase or quote. Your work must be typed.
Part 1 – Group Work – Design a Block Area (6 Marks)
In small groups students will work collaboratively to design an illustration of a block play area. You may sketch this, use a word document, or another compatible computer program.
Students are encouraged to review this weeks PowerPoint Slides and the chapter from Dietze and Kashin, 2019 (posted) for inspiration and to develop an understanding of block play, before creating their illustration.
Please upload a picture of your design with your completed reflection. Please note that students may work collaboratively for the creation of the illustration but must work individually to complete their written reflection.
Part 2 – Individual – Document Your Learning – (12 marks) – Start of class – Week 14
Step 1 – Introduce your paper in one paragraph. Title this as Introduction.
Step 2 – Copy and paste a photo of your block centre design into the document.
Step 3 – Use the following questions to write a reflection. Title this as Block Play Reflection.
- What type of blocks and other materials did you choose to use in your design? Why did you select these materials? (3 marks)
*Please refer to Dietze and Kashin, 2019 pp.260-263
- Considering the plan that you have made, explain how your design supports any 3 of the following. Please remember to back up each of your answer with readings. (6 marks)
Cognitive Development Physical Skills
Language Development Math Skills
Affective Domain (motivation, internal emotions)
- How does block play in early learning programs support the concepts of “belonging” as described in How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years? (3 marks)
Be sure to include a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations. Use Ariel 12 font and double space your work. APA formatting (2 marks)
Design a Block Area
|Design demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the course content.||Design shows some understanding of course content.||Design is complete with minimal understanding of course content.||Design is incomplete with little to no connections to course content.|
Document Your Learning
12 11 10
9 8 7
6 5 4
3 2 1
|Response demonstrates an in-depth reflection on, and personalization of the concepts presented and discussed in class. Viewpoints and
interpretations are insightful and well supported. Clear, relevant examples are provided. Most meaningful material is referenced and connected to the experience.
|Response demonstrates a general reflection on, and personalization of, the concepts presented and discussed in class. Viewpoints and interpretations are supported. Appropriate examples are provided, as applicable. Referenced material is relevant.||Response demonstrates a minimal reflection on, and personalization of, the concepts presented and discussed in class. Viewpoints and interpretations are unsupported or vague. Examples, when applicable, are not provided or are irrelevant. Referenced material only vaguely connected.||Response demonstrates a lack of reflection on, or personalization of, the concepts presented and discussed in class. Viewpoints and interpretations are missing, inappropriate, and/or unsupported. Examples, when applicable, are not provided. Work is incomplete. No references/irrelevant references.|
APA – /2
Assignment submitted on time (1 mark per day is deducted for late submissions) _____________
Grade / 20