Assignment: Pharmacotherapy for Cardiovascular Disorders
As an advanced practice nurse, it is your responsibility to recommend appropriate treatment options for patients with cardiovascular disorders. To ensure the safety and effectiveness of drug therapy, advanced practice nurses must consider aspects that might influence pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes such as medical history, other drugs currently prescribed, and individual patient factors.
· Review the Resources for this module and consider the impact of potential pharmacotherapeutics for cardiovascular disorders introduced in the media piece. (see PDF transcript)
· Review the case study assigned by your Instructor for this Assignment. ( see below)
· Think about how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan based on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes. Reflect on whether you would modify the current drug treatment or provide an alternative treatment option for the patient.
Patient AO has a history of obesity and has recently gained 9 pounds. The patient has been diagnosed with hypertension and hyperlipidemia. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
· Atenolol 12.5 mg daily
· Doxazosin 8 mg daily
· Hydralazine 10 mg qid
· Sertraline 25 mg daily
· Simvastatin 80 mg daily
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
· Select one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
· Explain how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes in the patient from the case study (See above).
· Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples.
· Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements.
· APA 7, the College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references.
· Minimum 5 references
At the end of the assignment post, provide a list of the medications you would prescribe for the patient in the scenario provided.(See drug list example)
Your Revised Drug List Format
Drug A 1mg 1 tab bid
Drug B 2 mg I tab q day.
Drug C No change
Add Drug 3 mg hs
DC Drug D