The Lab Assignment
Write a detailed one-page narrative (not a formal paper) explaining the health assessment information required for a diagnosis of your selected patient (include the scenario number). Explain how you would respond to the scenario as an advanced practice nurse using evidence-based practice guidelines and applying ethical considerations. Justify your response using at least three different references from current evidence-based literature.
The Ethics Behind Assessment
Consider the following scenarios:
· You are a nurse at a large county hospital. One of your patients is leaning toward selecting a certain radical treatment for cancer, to which the family is in opposition. The family is concerned about making the correct decision and asks for your advice.
· The state of Oregon has passed a “Death with Dignity” act that allows for euthanasia in certain situations. One of your patients suffering from terminal cancer is thinking of moving there to take advantage of this law and asks your opinion.
Throughout this course, you have explored a wide range of health assessments and abnormal examination findings. Although you have predominantly focused on the procedural aspects of health assessment, this week, you will focus on ethical considerations that should be taken into account when advising patients or their families.
This week, you will consider how evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations factor into health assessments. You will also evaluate health assessment concepts related to sports physicals and well-child and well-woman examinations.
· Apply evidence-based practice guidelines to make an informed healthcare decision
· Apply ethical considerations to a health assessment response
· Apply concepts, theories, and principles relating to sports physicals and well-child and well-woman examinations
· Identify concepts, theories, and principles related to advanced health assessment
Ball, J. W., Dains, J. E., Flynn, J. A., Solomon, B. S., & Stewart, R. W. (2019). Seidel’s guide to physical examination: An interprofessional approach (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
· Chapter 24, “Sports Participation Evaluation”
In this chapter, the authors describe the process of a sports participation evaluation. The chapter also states the most common conditions encountered in a sports participation evaluation.
· Chapter 25, “Putting It All Together”
In this chapter, the authors tie together the concepts introduced in previous chapters. In particular, the chapter has a strong emphasis on the patient-caregiver relationship.
Furman , C. D., Earnshaw, L. A., Farrer, L. A. (2014). A case of inappropriate apolipoprotein E testing in Alzheimer’s disease due to lack of an informed consent discussion. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease & Other Dementias, 29(7), 590–595. doi:10.1177/1533317514525829.
Navarro-Illana, P., Aznar, J., & Díez-Domingo, J. (2014). Ethical considerations of universal vaccination against human papilloma virus. BMC Medical Ethics, 15(29). doi:10.1186/1472-6939-15-29. Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6939/15/29
May, K. H., Marshall, D. L., Burns, T. G., Popoli, D. M. & Polikandriotis, J. A. (2014). Pediatric sports specific return to play guidelines following concussion. The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 9(2), 242–255. PMCID: PMC4004129. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4004129/
American Academy of Pediatrics. (2008). Recommendations for preventative pediatric health care (periodicity schedule). Retrieved from https://www.harmonyhpi.com/WCAssets/illinois/assets/IL_MedicaidProviderManual_PEM_AdultPHGsForProviders.pdf
This resource provides recommendations for preventative pediatric healthcare from infancy through adolescence. The periodicity schedule covers a variety of areas, from health history to measurements, developmental/behavioral screenings, physical exams, procedural screenings, and oral health.
This website provides information on the Rourke Baby Record (RBR). The RBR supplies guidelines on growth and nutrition, developmental surveillance, physical exam parameters, and immunizations for well-baby and child care.
A single mother has accompanied her two daughters, aged 15 and 13, to a women’s health clinic and has requested that the girls receive a pelvic examination and be put on birth control. The girls have consented to the exam but seem unsettled.
Please remember to follow APA format for the paper including title page, formatting, intext citations and reference page. Please refer to APA manual for guidelines.