Interview your cooperating teacher/mentor about the following aspects of your cooperating classroom. Use the discussion to prepare for the student teaching experience. Your interview questions and observations should review the following:
- The best methods for communicating with your cooperating teacher/mentor
- The school philosophy, policies, calendar, and daily schedule
- The professional dispositions including expectations regarding dress, behavior, etc.
- Required reports and recordkeeping, grading standards, and discipline procedures
- District/school resources provided based upon the learning expectations
- Expectations for students, routines, procedures, and an established classroom management plan
- Additional questions as appropriate
Summarize and reflect upon your interview and explain how you will use your findings in your student teaching practice and future professional practice.
Consider the following:
- What surprised you the most about your cooperating teacher/mentor’s responses?
- How do the “Professional Dispositions” align to your cooperating teacher/mentor’s responses?
- How can you apply your findings to your future professional career?