As you explore the various cultures within the military, you may wonder how some of the differences affect the overall culture of the military. How do these differences influence the identity, roles, stressors, and needs of military personnel? The military has evolved over many years to include a rich ethnically and culturally diverse population. This diversity has led the military to break down stereotypes and create a new “norm” for working as a team despite individual differences.
In this Assignment, you analyze how distinct cultures can contribute to the larger military culture.
In addition to the resources given this week, find in the Walden Library at least one additional piece of peer-reviewed research that helps to identify two distinct populations within military culture. However, do not choose the same culture that you chose for the Discussion.
In a 3- to 4-page paper:
- Describe some characteristics of the population.
- Describe how you would approach those cultures as a military social worker.
- Identify strengths and challenges associated with this culture within the military.
- Describe specific social work skills you would need to help clients within these populations.
- Explain the importance of knowing how this population fits within the military culture.
Learning Resource Required Readings
Rubin, A., Weiss, E. L., & Coll, J. E. (Eds.). (2013). Handbook of military social work. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
Chapter 2, “Military Culture and Diversity” (pp. 21–36)