An important focus of this course is to understand the intersection of culture, society and schools, classrooms, and individuals. This assignment provides an opportunity for you to reflect on yourself as a culture bearer and on the influence of education in your life. We each have a narrative that defines us to date. That narrative has many aspects and is your story. In your writing, address the following as your story to date:
- How long has your family been in the United States? When (approximately did they arrive? From where did they come? Did they come voluntarily?
- What is considered your family’s “home base” in this country? How did the family happen to settle there? What other places did your family live before settling in that location?
- What is the economic history of your family? In what kinds of work have members of your family engaged?
- What is the educational history of your family? When did family members first begin to avail themselves of formal schooling
- How do you identify with regards to race, class, gender, sexual orientation, language, and/or ability? How do you benefit and struggle because of these identities?
- What is your goal as a teacher (or parent, taxpayer, etc.) and does this connect in anyway to your culture and background