In public health, data are often gathered from separate groups in order to describe health-related behavior for a topic of interest. In practice, a larger sample is often surveyed, and then focus groups or interviews can be conducted with a smaller subset of the sample. The quantitative survey data from a larger group helps to identify health-related trends and patterns within the sample group. The qualitative data collected with the smaller group complements the quantitative survey data and helps to determine why and how a phenomenon exists. The cumulative findings can then help public health professionals form a conclusion about the health issue and inform future public health research, policy, and practice.
The purpose of this assignment is to analyze qualitative and quantitative data from two separate groups, propose a research question, and then disseminate your findings in a mixed-methods manuscript. The survey and focus group are both on the topic of nutrition. The quantitative data is adapted from the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS), and the qualitative data is from a focus group transcript in which 9th grade girls discussed healthy eating.
For this assignment, you will use:
- IBM SPSS Statistics and the \”Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System Dataset\” to conduct a basic quantitative statistical analysis.
- The \”9th Grade Girls Healthy Food Focus Group Transcription\” to conduct a qualitative analysis and identify key themes.
Part 1: Analyzing Data
Using the resources indicated above, conduct the following analyses and record the results on the \”Results and Outputs\” template. Attach this document as an Appendix in your paper.
Qualitative Analysis: Read the \”9th Grade Girls Healthy Food Focus Group Transcription.\” This transcript is from a focus group of 9th grade girls discussing healthy eating with the moderator. Generate codes and summarize the qualitative data.
- Review the \”Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System Dataset.\” Identify two or three variables of interest and identify a study topic for your paper. Conduct a literature search for three to five peer-reviewed articles from the last 5 years that have studies supporting your topic. Develop a research question for your study based on the selected variables. The research question should demonstrate support for the focus group results and should be supported by existing literature.
- Prepare the data to complete the analysis based on your research question.
- Using SPSS, conduct descriptive statistics to summarize the sample.
- Using SPSS, select an appropriate quantitative inferential statistical test to analyze the data.
Part 2: Reporting Data
Prepare a 1,250-1,500 word manuscript to disseminate the findings of your proposed study. The study should be based on your proposed research question and supported by the findings from the qualitative and quantitative analyses above, as well as by current literature. Include the following:
- A 150-250 word summary of the manuscript.
- Summarize the purpose of the research, the problem being addressed, and your proposed research question.
- Support your summary using three to five peer-reviewed articles from the last 5 years that are relevant to your topic and that support why the study is being conducted.
Qualitative Methods (Focus Group)
- Describe the focus group sample and data collection process.
- Describe the process used to analyze the qualitative data.
Quantitative Methods (YRBSS Survey)
- Discuss how the data were collected.
- Identify and describe the variables used in the analysis.
- Describe the descriptive and inferential statistical tests that were conducted.
- Identify the software that was used to conduct the analysis.
Qualitative Results (Focus Group)
- Summarize the results of the qualitative analysis from the \”9th Grade Girls Healthy Food Focus Group Transcription.\”
Quantitative Results (YRBSS Survey)
- Summarize the sample using the results of the descriptive statistics.
- Describe the main outcomes of the inferential statistical analysis.
- Include at least one table or figure to support the results.
- Interpret the study results in relation to the related literature and study purpose.
- Discuss the study limitations.
- Based on the interpreted results of the study, provide recommendations for future public health research, policy, or practice.
- \”Results and Outputs\” analysis document.
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
Master Public Health
2.2: Select quantitative and qualitative data collection methods appropriate for a given public health context.
2.3: Analyze quantitative and qualitative data using biostatistics, informatics, computer-based programming, and software, as appropriate.
2.4: Interpret results of data analysis for public health research, policy, or practice.
MSN Public Health Nursing
6.3: Interpret results of data analysis for public health research, policy, or practice.