Business Analysis and
Introduction and Plan
Design and Objective
- This part is 1/2 of a 60-Credit module
- We have designed this part to cover the requirements for the degree of MSc. In terms of:
- Undertaking research (through a Literature Review)
- Theoretical work (developing a framework)
- Field study (Collect data about a firm and its competitors-Secondary Data)
- Analysis and presentation (data analyses and present the outcomes in a variety of attractive forms
How does this work (this year)?
Ø An INDIVIDUAL mini dissertation (Report) on BENCHMARKING (5000 words) comprised of:
1. Literature review on PMS and BM;
- Selection of TWO (or more) cases and undertaking a BM exercise (financial, nonfinancial, strategies and business models, investment, HRM).
Ø A PPT/PDF Poster to present your work in
Ø A Report of academic and professional quality to cover sections:
- Introduction/executive summary (400words)
- Review of the literature (2000words)
- Benchmarking (2000words) [excluding references and appendices]
- Case selection and introduction, approach to data collection
- Analyses (FIVE sub-sections)
- Discussions, conclusions and limitations (600w)
- Literature Review (LR)
v Learning principles and methods v Undertaking a LR
- PMS and Benchmarking
v Learning principles and theories v Undertaking the exercise v Choosing case v Collecting Data v Analysis
- Developing results and discussions, and reporting (final dissertation + Poster) Schedules
Sessions TOPIC Date/Time (ZOOM) WHO in the TEAM?
1 Principles and Process [TODAY] [TODAY] Hossein Sharifi
2 Literature Review Methods Monday 29/06; 9-11 AM Jennifer Davies
3 Performance Management and Measurement Systems and Models Friday 03/07; 9-11 AM Mahdi Seify 4 Choice of Models and Measures Friday 10/07; 9-10:30 AM M Seify
5 LR(coding: Organising and Using sources ) Friday 17/07; 9-10 AM J Davies
6 Measures and Data Analysis Friday 24/07; 9-10:30 AM M Seify
- Financial analysis; nonstrategy analyses -financial and Friday 31/07; 9-11 AM Hossein SharifiOmar Elsayed
- Choice of factors and collection KPIs, data Friday 07/08; 9-10:30 AM H SharifiO Sayed
9 LR: Structuring and paraphrasing Friday 14/08; 9-10 AM J Davies
10 Data Analysis and Reporting Friday 21/08; 9-10 AM O SayedM Seify
WRITING UP AND PREPARING POSTER TO SUBMIT MID-SEPTEMBER
ØPHASE 1: Literature Review
Mark for this part: 30%
ØPHASE 2: Benchmarking Exercise
Mark for this phase: 70%
[60% the exercise report, 10% poster]
PHASE 1: Literature Review
- Concept, models and importance of PMS in firms • Concept, models and importance of Benchmarking
- Key aspects of Benchmarking:
- Objectives from strategy to action
- Financial and Non-Financial Benchmarking
- Measures and KPIs; what and how to choose
- Outcomes from Benchmarking
- Identify KEY QUESTIONS you may need to collect data about from the company and its stakeholders, particularly the competitors.
PHASE 2: Benchmarking Exercise
- Identify/choose a company and at least ONE and MAX three competitors to Benchmark the company against them. These should operate within the same sector.
- Choose the PMS framework to cover:
- Strategic/competitive position (market, product, growth, structure, …)
- Financial performance
- Non-Financial performance
- Choose the Key KPIs for the above
- Collect and Analyse Data
- Visualise and interpret the data and your analysis – Your recommendation to the company
- This poster should be a representative of your work, with the assumption that you present/offer it to professionals (from the companies you have Benchmarked and/or others).
- Identified Gaps and Differences in clear statements, and emerged recommendations from your analysis (showing cohesive result from all comparative analyses you did) are critical in this.
- Follow the general format (next slide), but you can choose the style of your own and may adjust different parts on the slide/poster, as fit your work.
Focal Company, registered address, business activities
Company (ies) compared with
(address and business activities
Aim and Approach
What did you find to be the purpose of doing Benchmarking, and how did you approach the Benchmarking (generic, focused (how)) and why?
Explain the data sources you accessed and used for your analysis, for the focal company and those compared with Financial
Non-Financial (internal information, market and competition)
Key Identified Gaps from the Benhcmarking
- List the key findings from your final analysis, where the differences between the companies are most significant and can be used for improving the firm (strategy to practice)
Brief summary of what you think is the best course of action for the focal firm to take.