UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AND APPLIED SCIENCE, NIZWA BUSINESS STUDIES DEPARTMENT
SEMESTER 1 / AY 2020 -2021
ENGL 1208 BUSINESS COMMUNICATION ASSIGNMENT – 1
1. Choose and use communication methods and strategies to specific business situations including the
proper use of telephone, fax, and e-mail.
5. Apply a variety of communication skills, methods, and strategies to communicate effectively in business situations.
Graduate Attributes Covered:
1. Effective Communication: active listening, critical reading, confident speaking and focused writing.
2. Scholastic rigor & practical competence: creative thinking, problem solving, analytical thinking, time management, dexterousness and knowledgeability.
6. Innovation: imagination, aspiration, problem-solving, solution-integration, visionary and perseverance.
7. Entrepreneurship: creativity, initiation, risk-taking, resilience, inspiration and persistence.
1. As a Manager of a business organization, you are supposed to carry out a lot of communication with
your customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, etc through various tools like emails,
phone, face to face, etc. Discuss the various barriers of communication that you are likely to face
while communicating with these people through these tools. (5 Marks)
2. Discuss the physical and psychological hazards/effects of mobile phones overuse on people. Support
with examples and pictures. (5 Marks)
1. Upload your Answers in the moodle on or before Wednesday, November 11, 2020 individually. 2. Save your file with Course Code and Name & Your ID 3. The assignment must be in PDF / Microsoft word format only. 4. Any form of cheating is punishable. Students who cheat will be treated according to the Plagiarism and
Academic Integrity Policies.
5. Assignments submitted after the deadline will be marked zero. 6. Typography:
Font style : Times New Roman / Tahoma / Calibri
Font size : 12
Line spacing : 1.5
Paper size : A4