The purpose of this assignment is to engage in a selected activity related to career development. After completing one of the options from the “Career Development Activities” below, write a paper (750-1,000 words) that includes the following:
- An explanation of the career development activity that you participated in.
- How the activity will influence your current or future career.
The paper may be written in first person voice and must be grammatically correct. At least two external sources should be cited in the paper. The paper must be written on an activity that has been completed during this current course.
Career Development Activities:
- Go to a professional association meeting, such as a local chapter meeting of the Institute of Management Accountant (IMA), Accounting and Financial Women’s Alliance (AFWA), or your state board of accountancy. Write a paper that meets the assignment expectations, and explains what you learned from this meeting and how this will influence your career.
- Research a professional license, certification, advanced degree or designation related to your intended profession. Write a paper that meets the assignment expectations, and explains what you learned from your research and how this will influence your accounting career.
- Go to a GCU Accounting Society meeting on campus. Write a paper that meets the assignment expectations, and explains what you learned from this meeting and how this will influence your career.
- Find an Excel tutorial online and complete the tutorial. Write a paper that meets the assignment expectations, and explains what you learned by completing the tutorial and how this will help you in your career. Be sure to include the link to the specific tutorial that you completed and if a certificate of completion is available, embed the certificate in your paper.
- Complete the GCU Career Compass. Use the link in topic materials to register for Career Compass. Write a paper that meets the criteria above, and explains what you learned by completing the Career Compass and how this will help you in determining your career path.
- If you have an activity that you plan to participate in that will enhance your career knowledge, you may ask the instructor if you may use this as a Career Preparation assignment opportunity.
- Participate in other activities as directed by the instructor.