As an investigator with the Federal Public Defender’s Office, you are assisting Assistant Federal Defender Lilly Jones with gathering background information on offender Ben Smith, who pled guilty to distribution of a controlled substance (5 kilograms of cocaine). Mr. Smith is being sentenced next month.
In a 2–3-page paper, provide an overview of the following:
- What sentence is required in this case based on the federal sentencing guidelines?
- Why were the federal sentencing guidelines developed, and what is their purpose?
- In your opinion, do the guidelines allow judges enough discretion when imposing a sentence in this type of case?
- Should judges have more or less discretion when it comes to sentencing?
- What are the 3 most important things Ms. Jones should tell the judge at sentencing about Mr. Smith to aid in sentencing?