Post your background question and your strategy for getting a comprehensive understanding of the clinical issue. Your background question will lead you to your foreground or PICOT question–so it is an important piece of the project!
Your background question should answer the who, what, when, where, how, and why. With a clinical question, you will include the definition, epidemiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis, and conclusion. As an example, when I am thinking of background questions that I would like to answer for my topic of depression I would ask:
1. How is depression defined and how is it diagnosed in primary care?
2. What population is at the most risk for depression?
3. What are some of the causes of depression?
4. How is depression identified and treated?
5. Why… (Create the last question)