In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
· Create various visual communications informed by the application of basic design principles
You work for a consulting media firm that completes projects across all industries. Since you are the senior designer, your supervisor has offered you the opportunity to share your design expertise by leading a training for new designers. Consider how you will apply design principles, theories, and techniques to create effective visuals for the training. Choose one of the following projects to use for visual communication examples in your presentation:
· Fundraising Campaign: A nonprofit organization, Reaching All Paws, located in Miami, Florida, is planning to hold a 30-day fundraising campaign to support local animals shelters after the recent hurricane.
· “Fun Run” Event: A regional health insurance company, Healthier Health Care, is sponsoring a local “fun run” event for all ages to promote heart health through regular physical activity.
· Online Sales Promotion: A national department store, BuyFromUs, will have a sales promotion during the launching of their new online shopping website. All online clothing sales will receive a 20% discount and a three-day shipping guarantee.
· Visual Designs: To lead a meaningful training, you should use examples that showcase your design knowledge and skills. You may refer to the Visual Communication Design Guide to get started. Specifically, your supervisor has asked you to do the following:
· Create two visuals from the Visual Communication Design Guide that demonstrate the design principles and techniques in visual communication and design. Each visual should be unique in its design and intended delivery platform.
· Training Presentation: For the training, your supervisor would like you to showcase your visual examples in a PowerPoint presentation. Once you have created the two visuals, embed each visual into presentation slides. Your supervisor is hoping to use this training in the future, so it is important that you properly annotate your examples in the slides and in the speaker notes. Remember that the slides should include brief phrases, while the speaker notes section should be used to elaborate on the brief information provided in the slides. These are standard practices when creating PowerPoint presentations. Your supervisor asks you to address the following in your training presentation:
· Describe the message you are trying to convey in each visual, including how the elements of design support the intended message.
· Describe in detail the design principles and techniques used in the creation of each visual. Consider annotating your visuals in the presentation slides to clearly show the design principles you applied.
· Identify an appropriate platform to deliver each visual.
· Explain your reasoning for the selection of each communication platform, including how this delivery method aligns to the visual communication design principles.
What to Submit
Every project has a deliverable or deliverables, which are the files that must be submitted before your project can be assessed. For this project, you must submit the following:
Design Training Presentation Submit a PowerPoint presentation that showcases your two visuals. Each visual must clearly convey meaning (with correct grammar and spelling) and demonstrate an understanding of the elements and principles of visual design. Your presentation should not exceed 10 slides (including a title slide and references) and must include detailed speaker notes. Cite all sources appropriately.
The following resource(s) may help support your work on the project:
Citation Help Need help citing your sources? Use the CfA Citation Guide and Citation Maker.
Visual Communication Design Guide This guide provides a list of the visual design elements and principles to refer to and incorporate into your visuals. Please note: It is not required to incorporate all of the design elements or principles into your visuals. You may also use this guide to help choose an appropriate tool to create your visual examples. Consider how you can most effectively leverage the deliverable type in the design of each visual.
Reading: Insert a Picture in PowerPoint Learn how to insert your images into slides in Microsoft PowerPoint.
Shapiro Library Resource: Shapiro Library References Guide As you create visuals, it will be essential to provide credit for all images, videos, and text you use. Review this citation guide to learn how to properly cite text, images, and videos taken from other sources. This guide is intended to help you cite sources in APA style, avoid plagiarism, and search for examples of APA style.
Visual DesignsWhich Resources Can Help?Creates two visuals that are unique in design and intended delivery platform and demonstrate the design principles and techniques in visual communication and design☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
Training PresentationWhich Resources Can Help?Describes the message conveyed in each visual, including how the elements of design support the intended message☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
Describes in detail the design principles and techniques used in the creation of each visual☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
Identifies an appropriate platform to deliver each visual☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
Explains reasoning for the selection of each communication platform, including how each delivery method aligns to visual communication design principles☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
GeneralWhich Resources Can Help?Clearly conveys meaning with correct grammar, sentence structure, and spelling; shows understanding of audience and purpose☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet
Lists sources where needed using citation methods with no major errors☐ Mastered ☐ Not Yet