When you arrive on the scene of a crime, you must follow certain procedures to ensure the admissibility of evidence. For this assignment, you will use a case file of a real crime scene and assume the role of the crime scene investigator. You will create a presentation in which you document your process, present your findings, and provide an evaluation of the scene in a narrated PowerPoint or presentation tool of your choice.
To help you prepare for this assignment, use the Mock Crime Scene to review the steps of evaluating a crime scene.
Choose one of the following cases from your textbook resource:
- “He Hit Her Until She Fell… and That Was Just the Beginning,” Brandl, pp. 363–373.
- “A Mutilation Murder,” Brandl, p. 670.
Then, create a 5–10 minute presentation in which you:
- Identify the tools you used to evaluate the crime scene. Provide a rationale for your choices.
- Outline the steps you took to secure the crime scene.
- Describe the techniques and procedures you used to process the crime scene, including a list of the evidence collected. Explain the reasons for your procedures.
- Describe the steps you took to preserve the evidence and provide an explanation for your process.
- Provide photos of the crime scene.
- Create a crime scene map that illustrates the crime scene upon arrival.
- Narrate your presentation to walk the audience through the crime scene