CTQ1. Read the Minicase from Chapter 10 or Chapter 11. Answer all the Discussion Questions in the end of this Minicase.
CTQ2. Pick one question to answer from the following list. Use your own language. Copying from the textbook will result in 0 points.
- What is a business case? What is its purpose? Who should be developing and presenting the business case for a new information system?
- What are the key drivers of new information systems project risk? Why should a firm evaluate the aggregate risk of its portfolio of projects? What should the organization do if the current level of portfolio risk is not aligned with the degree of risk deemed appropriate according to the strategic information systems plan?
- Define and differentiate the following terms: outsourcing, information systems outsourcing, offshoring, full outsourcing, and selective outsourcing. What are the principal drivers and risks associated with information systems outsourcing?
- Describe the reasons general and functional managers often fail to understand the complexities of organizational information systems development. Can you provide an example from your experience?
- How do the three information systems development approaches in use today in modern organizations differ? Can you provide an example of each?
- Provide arguments in support of both the make and buy approaches. What are the principal advantages of each decision? Increasingly firms approach information systems development as a “buy and make” process. What do we mean by “buy and make”? Why is this approach gaining increasing popularity today?
- Describe the systems development life cycle (SDLC) methodology in the context of a “real” example. In other words, think about (or imagine) a situation where you proposed the need for a new information system. For this system development effort, describe what happened (or should happen) during the definition, build, and implementation phases.
- What are prototyping methodology’s advantages and disadvantages?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the systems selection and acquisition methodology?
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of agile methods and DevOps.
- What is open source software? What are the main advantages and disadvantages of open source software? When would you consider an open source software implementation in your organization? When would you not?
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of end-user development.