The topic as below:
Managing the multi-business corporation to meet high performance expectations is problematic. Publicly traded companies are pressured to return favorable quarterly results and as corporations grow larger and more complex, it becomes harder to manage such corporations effectively. General Electric (GE) was once one of the most admired corporations in the world. Today, GE is facing a much-reduced outlook. For this week’s assignment, read the case study found in your textbook (Case 20): Restructuring General Electric.
Remember, a case study is a puzzle to be solved, so before reading and answering the specific case and study questions, develop your proposed solution by following these five steps:
- Read the case study to identify the key issues and underlying issues. These issues are the principles and concepts of the course area which apply to the situation described in the case study.
- Record the facts from the case study which are relevant to the principles and concepts of the course area issues. The case may have extraneous information not relevant to the current course area. Your ability to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information is an important aspect of case analysis, as it will inform the focus of your answers.
- Describe in some detail the actions that would address or correct the situation.
- Consider how you would support your solution with examples from experience or current real-life examples or cases from textbooks.
- Complete this initial analysis and then read the discussion questions. Typically, you will already have the answers to the questions but with a broader consideration. At this point, you can add the details and/or analytical tools required to solve the case.
Case Study Questions:
- Why was GE considered to be such an exemplary organization? (Discuss GE’s management systems and performance.)
- Discuss the nature of GE’s corporate portfolio under Welch and Imelt. Did the nature of GE’s portfolio under Welch and Imelt provide superior results?
- If GE’s portfolio mix gave superior results, why was it necessary to restructure the portfolio?
- Why is GE’s performance no longer superior? What are the reasons for the collapse in GE’s financial performance during 2016-2018?
- What should be done to return GE to higher levels of performance? Does GE need to refocus? Which businesses or products would you recommend abandoning or divesting, if any? Does GE need to make additional acquisitions to supplement existing GE assets?
- – Write an essay that includes an introduction paragraph, the essay’s body, and a conclusion paragraph to address the assignment’s guide questions.
- – Do not address the questions using a question-and-answer format.
- – Charts/diagrams should be labeled and can be added within the body of your paper.
- – APA style should be used
- – Font will be: Times roman 12, and double space should be between lines
- -At least 3-4 scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles will be used as references (including the below two).
- Recommended Reference:
- Aleong, C. (2018). Strategy: What universities can learn from corporate success stories. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 11(2), 55–64.
- Salwan, P., & Sharma, K. (2018). Developing high adaptive capabilities: The case of CISCO. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 54(1), 146–162.
- Lindsay, S., Jack, G., & Ambrosini, V. (2018). A critical diversity framework to better educate students about strategy implementation. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 17(3), 241–258.