Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 3 of Making Connections: Understanding Interpersonal Communication, complete the Week 2 Paper Training and Week 2 – Quiz 1, review the Sample Week 2 Paper, and watch the Week 2 Webinar – Culture in Action (Links to an external site.) video.
or this assignment, you will explore the relationship between culture and communication. In her definition of culture, Bevan (2020) states it is the collective set of customs, values, beliefs, and norms of a group of people. In this paper, you will explore how culture creates customs of verbal and nonverbal communication and then explore two other themes covered in Bevan. Ultimately, you will discuss how paying attention to culture can help us improve as communicators.
In your paper,
- Explain two points detailing why it is so important to be aware of culture when thinking about communication, utilizing Bevan.
- Explain how culture shapes verbal and nonverbal communication, utilizing Bevan.
- Describe the relationship between culture and two other themes that are central to culture from this list, utilizing Bevan:
- Gender(Chapters 2 and 3)
- High versus low context cultures (Chapter 3)
- Dominant cultures versus co-cultures (Chapter 3)
- Individualism and collectivism (Chapter 3)
- Perceptual filters (Chapter 3)
- NOTE: If you’d like to supplement your points by learning more about the roles of race or class in communication, please use one or more of the videos in the “Resources” box in the upper right corner to assist you. This is not required, but can enrich your paper.
- Explain how paying attention to culture can help a person improve as a communicator, utilizing Bevan and, if you choose, one of the supplemental videos you watched.
The Culture and Communication paper
- Must be 750 words (three double-spaced pages) in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize an academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.