PSYC-203 Depressive/Bipolar Disorders in the Media Homework (25 pts)
The purpose of this assignment is to examine how Depressive/bipolar disorders are portrayed in the popular media (movies, TV shows, news stories, etc). For this assignment you must find a TV character, Movie character, or a person described as suffering from a Depressive or Bipolar disorder written about in a newspaper article. You should not be using professional journal articles for this assignment. Upload your assignment into Canvas by the due date!
NOTE: For this assignment and any other in this class, you may not use a TV or movie character where someone else has already diagnosed your character with a particular disorder and where the link is simply a listing of symptoms, they found and brief clips of the character!
I. Your answers need to be done on a word processor. Your answers must be in complete sentences. This assignment is worth 25 pts – broken down as listed below.
1. Briefly describe the source/character of your example of someone exhibiting the symptoms of a Depressive or Bipolar disorder. Provide the character’s name and if your example is a character from movie/TV show provide name of movie/show. Provide an active link to Youtube video, movie, TV show, news story. (2 pts)
2. What Disorder does your character/person have? (2 pts)
3. Using your textbook describe the diagnostic criteria of the disorder (you need to cite textbook in paper and on the Reference page). Using examples from the movie/TV show/article, describe the specific behaviors/symptoms the character is exhibiting which are associated with the disorder. Make sure you are providing detailed examples of each behavior, not just saying “he showed manic periods”. (8 pts)
4. How well do these behaviors link to the “4 D’s” of psychological abnormality? Make sure you cite the textbook for the criteria in the paper and on the Reference page (4 pts)
5. What model of abnormality to you think would be appropriate in treating your character? Why? (5 pts)
6. Citing textbook in answer in APA style and including APA reference page with textbook only. (4 pts)