Develop strategies for use and improvement of standard documentation
You will need to demonstrate skills and knowledge required to develop and implement
strategies for the use of standard documentation and for continuous improvement of
standard documentation within an organisational context.
In response to a simulated business case study and a scenario, and following on from
Assessment Task 2, you will plan and deliver a short training session to introduce staff to
new templates. You will monitor both the success of the training and the performance of
the administration team and present findings in a written evaluation report.
Note: You will need to use the letter template developed in Assessment Task 2 to
complete this task.
Note: Refer to the Adept Owl simulated business documentation provided for further
background on the business and guidance on styles and production processes.
1. Read the scenario below.
2. Examine team performance and capability (set out in Appendix 1).
3. Consult with your assessor to determine which staff member (Pat, Sam or Kim) you
will plan training for.
4. Plan a short training session (for your assigned staff member) on the use of the
letter template that you developed in Assessment Task 2:
a. Develop explanatory notes for the template for use by staff as job aids and
for use in the session delivery, on:
i. applying the style guide when using templates and macros
ii. considering aspects of context, purpose and audience when designing
and formatting texts
iii. naming the document and storage requirements.
b. Develop a session plan for a 10–20 minute session, which includes planning
i. introducing and explaining the template and how it conforms with
ii. demonstrating functions (those that need to be demonstrated
considering the staff member’s current skills)
iii. allowing practice and questions and providing feedback on
iv. recording whether the staff member can use the template at the level
of ‘practitioner’ (see level description in the legend of Appendix 1).
Note: you will need to plan to monitor whether staff can demonstrate
use, naming and storage in accordance with organisational
5. Arrange with your assessor to demonstrate or role-play training.
6. Deliver the training. Ensure you:
a. use communication skills to explain features. Ensure you ask questions to
confirm trainees’ understanding. Ensure you listen to trainees’ questions and
b. draw attention to the importance of applying the style guide in using the
c. follow your session plan to introduce, demonstrate, allow the trainee
opportunity to practise, provide feedback and then assess the trainee
d. record whether the staff member can use the template.
1. Develop an evaluation report on the state of document design and production at
Adept Owl. Your report should contain:
a. information on performance, current skills (outlined in Appendix 1) and
observed assessment in the role-played training session; ensure you
compare standards for document production, including performance targets,
with actual skills and performance to identify gaps
b. at least three recommendations for continuous improvement and closing
performance and skills gaps based on your monitoring of actual performance
(the training undertaken in Part A), performance and skills information
provided in Appendix 1, and research undertaken; ensure you:
i. include technical needs to close gaps and improve operations with
respect to template use
ii. include training needs with respect to technical functions
iii. include changes to policies, procedures or style guides to support
implementation of recommendations
iv. refer to the advice of experts or relevant sources of expert advice to
support recommendations, for example a business communications
expert you have access to or information from print or online business
v. include a summary plan of all activities to implement recommended
changes over the financial year, including description of activity,
resources needed (including costs where relevant), person responsible
and timeframe. Use template in Appendix 2 or similar.
2. Submit your explanatory notes, session plan and evaluation report to your assessor
within an agreed timeframe and in an agreed format. Ensure your submitted
documents reflect specifications as outlined below. Keep copies of all submitted
materials for your records.
Adept Owl scenario: Implement strategies for use and
continuous improvement of documentation processes
You are the team leader of the Adept Owl administration team with responsibility for
leading document design and production.
According to the Adept Owl vision statement, the company intends to establish its
reputation within five years, ‘as one of the finest, most innovative and entertaining board
game developers in Australia’.
To help achieve this goal within your area, you will need to develop people-focused
implementation strategies, for example delivering training on documentation, to ensure
the cooperation of all staff in the maintenance of document quality, sustainability, and
legal and ethical compliance.
In order to contribute to continuous improvement by developing training and reporting on
performance, you will need to consider current performance and administration team
● deliver a training session
○ explanatory notes
○ session plan
○ evaluation report, including implementation plan.
Your assessor will be looking for delivery of training, supporting documents and an
evaluation report that, taken together, demonstrate:
● communication skills to present complex instructions verbally, to communicate
ideas logically, and to explain technical concepts and designs to others
● literacy skills to:
○ read and interpret policies and procedures
○ consider aspects of context, purpose and audience when designing and
● research and analysis skills to evaluate content, structure and purpose of technical
texts, and to adapt task instructions to suit changes in technology
● knowledge of document production processes
● knowledge of the functions of a range of software applications, including desktop
publishing, word processing and spreadsheets
● knowledge of organisational policies and procedures relating to document design
● knowledge of sources of expertise external to the organisation or workgroup.
Adjustment for distance-based learners
● No changes are required to the assessment procedures or specifications.
● Delivery of training may be conducted via videoconferencing software or recorded
and submitted as a video file, for example, at the discretion of the assessor.
● Submitted documents may be in electronic or paper-based format.