The purpose of this assignment is to present yourself professionally for employment in the field of special education through the development of a resume and cover letter. A cover letter serves as the specific introduction to a resume for each separate recipient, while the resume contains consistent, professional information regarding your professional background, education, and experience, no matter the recipient. A resume should be updated often as information changes or is added.
Using these sources as a guide:
- Create your own cover letter.
- Create your current resume.
You will not need a title page for this assignment, as your one-page cover letter will function as your title page.
The Developing a Strong Resume and Cover Letter
- Must be one page in length (not including cover letter and references page) It must include the following:
- Personal information
- Career title and objective
- Community involvement
- In the place of a separate title page, this assignment requires a professional cover letter with the following:
- List your contact information
- List the information for the employer you are contacting
- Address a person by name whenever possible
- Tell them why you are writing and demonstrate some knowledge of their company
- Using your three skills and examples, tell them why you are qualified for the position
- Thank them for their time and tell them what you want to happen next
- Consider using additional scholarly sources in addition to citing the two required provided sources (must cite Career Services at the University of Arizona Global Campus sources).
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types.