Disability, Culture, And Society
Hornbacher, Mayra. Wasted: A Memoir of Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa. New York: Harper Perennial, 1999.
Read a memoir by a disabled person or about disability and write a 2-3-page paper (double-spaced, 12-point font). Your review should do the following:
1. Present a concise summary and overview of the memoir.
• What is it about?
• Who wrote it?
• What is the author’s overall perspective, argument, or purpose?
2. Offer a critical assessment of the memoir. Articulate your reactions to the work in relation to course material/class discussions:
• What strikes you as noteworthy, effective or persuasive?
• What extent has it enhanced your understanding of disability?
3. Describe your own personal reaction to the book.
• Did you like it?
• What did you learn about disabilities in the present and the past?
• Would you recommend it to others?