Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 12
- Link (library article): The Doctors’ Choice is America’s Choice”: The Physician in US Cigarette Advertisements, 1930-1953 (Links to an external site.)
- Link (library article): The Opioid Epidemic: Who Is to Blame? (Links to an external site.)
- Link (article): The Opioid Epidemic: It’s Time to Place Blame Where It Belongs (Links to an external site.)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, research the history of the association of doctors with tobacco companies and tobacco advertising. Read about the association of doctors with the opioid crisis. Then, address the following:
- In what way are the two situations comparable?
- In what way are they different?
- Apply the concept of moral equivalence. Is the conduct of doctors in relation to smoking and the tobacco industry morally equivalent to the conduct of doctors in the opioid crisis? Explain your position and be very specific.