For this discussion board you will explore the many purposes, methods and uses of observation and assessment. Your DB has several components.
*Watch the video titled “Observing Young Children” and “Classroom Observation Techniques.” Listen to the administrators and teachers as they discuss the importance of observation as an assessment tool.
^After watching the 2 video discuss your findings, in a summary paragraph, with your classmates by addressing the following questions: (minimum of 5 sentences)
- Why is it important for teachers to understand the importance of observation in relationship to assessments?
- How should a teacher use observations?
- What are types of observation assessments?
*During the video “Observing Young Children”, 3 specific scenarios are discussed about Joey, Marissa and Salvatore. In addition to the summary paragraph, choose one of the children to discuss. For this part of your discussion the following 3 areas must be addressed:
- What was the issue/concern with the child? (include which child you chose)
- How did the teacher use observation as an assessment tool and what was she looking for?
- How did using observation improve the child’s skills? what were the results?
Video One: Observing Young Children
Video Two: Observation Techniques