Debate the claim that famines are caused more by human actions (or inactions) than by environmental forces? What scientific evidence would you need to have to settle this question and can you point to any real case study that supports your position.
*Unit 3 Discussion: Combining Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication (COM107 Introduction to Communication)
After reviewing the Free Hugs resources provided, first ask yourself what you liked about the verbal and non-verbal messages you saw and heard. Then consider how your interpretation of the video changed after reading about it. For this discussion, describe two situations in your own life (one verbal and one non-verbal) where you feel that you have communicated poorly. Refer to specific information given in the text, videos, and web pages to discuss how you could have enhanced your communication in the situations you described.
*Unit 3 Discussion (ACC111 Financial Accounting)
Anne Marie, the owner of Anne’s Beauty Salon, comes to see you again. She tells you that she just got her year-end set of financial statements from her accountant and is more confused. Here are her questions.
- I have very little cash and yet he says that I had a good year with $15,000 net income. He said it was because we use accrual accounting (whatever that means). I know I paid 6 month’s rent ($1,400 a month) in advance at the end of the year. I also paid my insurance for the next year. Insurance cost $6,000. I have several customers who had a lot of services done on credit and haven’t paid yet. I think that totals $11,948 owed to me. Can you explain?
- I was paid $200 in advance for some hair coloring I will do in January. He tells me that’s a liability. That doesn’t make any sense to me? Please explain.
- In December I did several hair several haircuts during the last week of the year and sent bills to all the customers? When is that counted?
How would you answer these questions?
*Unit 3 DB: Berghuis v. Thompkins (LAW204 Business Law)
In this case, after agreeing to hear the case (known as granting certiorari) the United States Supreme Court held that detectives interrogating Thompkins did not violate Thompkins’ Miranda rights in obtaining his confession.
- Read the case of Berghuis v.Thompkins. You may also find it helpful to listen to the oral arguments the lawyers made before the United States Supreme Court.
Prepare an argument for:
- You must argue against the majority’s decision and in favor of the dissent. The dissent argued that Thompkins’ confession was illegally obtained in violation of his Miranda rights.
Remember to support your required position with what you have learned from this week’s assigned reading about constitutional safeguards.
If your opinion varies from the position you are being required to take, you may include such a statement in your discussion post.
For this discussion board, be sure to include a citation to an appropriate source that supports the point you are making. (HINT: Your textbook is a great source!)
*Unit 3 Discussion: Time Value of Money Internet Search (FIN201 Principles of Finance)
Search the Internet for any short article related to our topics this week of time value of money. For the purpose of the discussion, avoid sites such as Wikipedia or Investopedia. Once you find an article, discuss what you’ve learned or what your thoughts are. Please also post a link to the article so others can access it.
*Chapter 4 Discussion (BUS2113 Principles of Accounting)
C1. Explain why temporary accounts are closed each period.
C2. Identify steps in the accounting cycle.
C3. Explain and prepare a classified balance sheet.
A1. Compute the current ratio and describe what it reveals about a company’s financial condition.
* Unit 3.1 Discussion: : Confidential Informants (CRJ101 Introduction to Criminal Justice)
Discuss the pros and cons of using confidential informants to combat crime. Discuss what entrapment entails and how entrapment could be used as a defense strategy. Do you believe that using informants can be entrapment? Why or why not?
*Unit 3.2 Discussion: Law Enforcement and Personal Liberty (CRJ101 Introduction to Criminal Justice)
Debate the balance between effective law enforcement and personal liberty. Which of these two principles outweighs the other? Are there any situations in which personal freedoms should be limited to ensure that police are able to prevent crime or successfully apprehend offenders? Why or why not? Support your opinion.