1. Intel ended up selecting Costa Rica for its production site. Based on the concepts from our readings and course discussions, and given the information provided in the case study, why do you think Costa Rica was selected over the other sites? Please explain your answer. Remember to cite to our course materials in formulating your answer.
2. Given the characteristics of Intel’s investment in Costa Rica, as described in the case study, what were its potential positive effects on Costa Rica’s economy and society?
3. Given the characteristics of Intel’s investment in Costa Rica, as described in the case study, what were its potential negative effects on Costa Rica’s economy and society?
4. Intel was considering Cost Rica, Brazil, Chile, and Mexico in their selection decision.
- Were power asymmetries reflected in Intel’s negotiations with these respective Latin American governments, as represented in the case study? Please explain.
- Was Intel’s decision based on its ability to influence/control/subjugate the host country’s government? Please explain.
- Which perspective on international political economy (liberalism, economic nationalism, and structuralism) best explains the following: 1. The actions of the potential host country governments in vying for Intel’s investment. 2. The interactions between potential host country governments and Intel’s representatives. Please explain.