- Read Principles of Management 5.1 Strategizing through 5.7 Developing Strategy Through External Analysis
- Read Principles of Management 6.1 Goals and Objectives through 6.7 Integrating Goals and Objectives with Corporate Social Responsibility
- Watch Balanced Scorecard video from Harvard Business Review
In the previous week, you described an organization, where you work or volunteer. In addition, you analyzed the organizational mission, vision, and values to determine how well these statements aligned with the core business. You will now critique the same organization’s strategic planning mechanism.
- Describe and evaluate your organization’s strategic planning process. If a formal strategic planning process does not exist, then describe how the organization sets goals and objectives.
- Give an example of a strategic goal and objective.
- How would you describe the nature of the planning process? Is it informal or formal? Is it organization-wide or concentrate in specific area?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the strategic planning mechanisms?
Initial Post. The student will submit one primary post, which will respond to the discussion question(s) for the week. This post must (a) be a minimum of 200-300 words in length, (b) exhibit college-level writing, and (c) include a reference to an external resource, i.e. textbook, course lecture, scholarly article, or appropriate website. All references should follow proper citation rules in APA format. The initial post must be submitted by Friday evening as to provide ample opportunity for feedback from classmates.
Peer Responses. The student will respond to a minimum of two peers with the expectation to interact with and elaborate on peer comments and responses. Comments should not simply agree or disagree with the peer; however, the responses should add to the discussion as to enhance the class interaction. All responses are to (a) be a minimum 100-200 words in length and (b) exhibit college-level writing. The peer responses must be submitted by Tuesday evening.
By the end of the week, each student will submit three posts (1 initial, 2 peer responses), which should total to a minimum of 400 word in length. Evaluation of the weekly discussion forums will be based on the following criteria.