This assignment is not required but is offered for those who wish to add to their point totals. In order to get these points, you must submit the assignment on or before November 10 at 11:00 pm CENTRAL TIME. Your paper per must be at least 550 words in length and must address the issues below.
The assignments consist of finding a newspaper article that is published between October 5, 2021 and November 10, 2021 either in a local paper or in an on-line newspaper such as the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Sun Times, Washington Post, Greenwood Commonwealth or any other United States or English language newspaper. This means CNN, yahoo, Fox News, MSNBC, Huffington Post, tv station websites, etc. are not eligible for these assignments. ONLY NEWSPAPERS/NEWSPAPER websites. Each article must have some discussion of, or allusion to, African American history or issues.
1. The article must come from newspapers, not websites unconnected to a print paper. Don’t use opinion/commentary articles. Ask your instructor if you don’t know what this is.
2. Cite the article [Title of the article, author [if given], name of the newspaper, date of publication] AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAPER. Put your name at the top of the paper, as well. No repeat headers allowed in your papers. You lose 5 points if you don’t follow the citation and repeat header direction. For this course, the only repeat header that should appear on your pages is a page number.
3. You are to summarize the article and the point of view of the author.
4. Then indicate whether your textbook sheds any light on the subject—use the index and cite the textbook pages.
5. Comment on how history is “used” by contemporary authors to support their points of view or illustrate subject matters they deal with.
6. Have you learned anything from the article?
7. Finally, and most importantly, what are the specific sources the author(s) cite(s)/uses to support the article? That is, how does the author prove to you, their reader, that they have facts to back up their writing? They won’t have a bibliography, but they normally are letting their readers know where they are getting their information. Don’t use opinion/commentary articles.
Your assignment must be turned in to Canvas by 11:00 pm CENTRAL TIME on the date it is due. It must be at least 550 words in length, must address the seven numbered issues above, and the article must have been published in the designated dating range for the assignment in which you are turning in the paper. The subject matter of the articles must be on a topic appropriate for the course. You are not guaranteed the full 25 points if you don’t follow these directions.
Another object of the assignment, as with other assignments in the course, is to have you follow specific directions, as you would be asked to do in any job situation.
The point of these assignments is for you to think about how history relates to what is happening now, so think about this issue as you write your essay.
REMEMBER: SUBMIT YOUR PAPER ONLY IN MS WORD FORMAT.