ASE STUDY #2
Chief Complaint: “I have pain in my belly”
History of Present Illness (HPI): A 25-year-old female presents to the emergency room (ER) with complaints of severe abdominal pain for 2 weeks . The pain is sharp and crampy It hurts if I run, sit down hard, or if I have sex
PMH: Patient denies
Drug Hx: Birth control
Subjective: Nausea and vomiting, Last menstrual period 5 days ago, New sexual partner about 2 months ago, No condoms, he hates them No pain, blood or difficulty with urination
PE: B/P 138/90; temperature 99°F; (RR) 20; (HR) 110, regular; oxygen saturation (PO2) 96%; pain 5/10
General: acute distress and severe pain
HEENT: Atraumatic, normocephalic, PERRLA, EOMI, conjunctiva and sclera clear; nares patent, nasopharynx clear, good dentition. Piercing in her right nostril and lower lip.
Lungs: CTA AP&L
Card:S1S2 without rub or gallop
Abd: INSPECTION: no masses or thrills noted; no discoloration and skin is warm to; no tattoos or piercings; abdomen is nondistended and round
• AUSCULTATION: bowel sounds (BS) are normal in all four quadrants, no bruits noted
• PALPATION: on palpation, abdomen is tender to touch in four quadrants; tenderness noted on light palpation, deep palpation reveals no masses, spleen and liver unremarkable
• PERCUSSION: tympany heard in all quadrants, no dullness noted in abdominal area
GU: • EXTERNAL: mature hair distribution; no external lesions on labia
• INTROITUS: slight green-gray discharge, no lesions
• VAGINAL: normal rugae; moderate amount of green discharge on vaginal walls
• CERVIX: nulliparous os with small amount of purulent discharge from os with positive cervical motion tenderness (CMT)
• UTERUS: ante-flexed, normal size, shape, and position
• ADNEXA: bilateral tenderness with fullness; both ovaries without masses
• RECTAL: deferred
• VAGINAL DISCHARGE: green in color
Ext: no cyanosis, clubbing or edema
Integument: intact without lesions masses or rashes
Neuro: No obvious deficits and CN grossly intact II-XII
Then answer the following questions:
- What other subjective data would you obtain?
- What other objective findings would you look for?
- What diagnostic exams do you want to order?
- Name 3 differential diagnoses based on this patient presenting symptoms?
- Give rationales for your each differential diagnosis.
–Your initial post should be at least 500 words, formatted and cited in current APA style with support from at least 2 academic sources.