This project relates to the importance of information systems in business operations. Each group will select two NYSE (The New York Stock Exchange) publicly traded, competing companies to research each company’s usage of information systems.
For each company research and discuss their history of existence, the information systems utilised by each company, and the advantages and disadvantages of employing information systems to manage people, organizations, and technology. A comparison of the information system types in the analysis and the business purpose(s) of the systems should also be conducted.
Your submission should incorporate the following associated questions:
- What is the corporation’s history of existence and what products and/or services does the company offer?
- Each company employs what types of information systems? Such as management information systems, HR systems, transaction processing systems, etc.
- Are there similarities in the business information systems employed by the companies being analysed?
- How can information systems be used for companies to establish a competitive advantage? How
does the company use information systems to manage data collection and manipulate data?
IMPORTANT: Each group must inform the lecturer first of their selection of the two NYSE companies before commencing research.
- Report must be 2000-2500 words in length (approx.)
- Each group must use Microsoft Teams to demonstrate equal contribution of work among members, and evidence of information sharing, group meeting etc.
- Your report must include:
- At least four (4) credible, outside sources and cite them using APA format.
- A mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one source from a scholarly journal.
Sources for locating the information system(s) employed by a company may include the company’s corporate website, LinkedIn SlideShare website (which details a company’s prole and information systems), corporate SEC listings, and public corporate documents on information system projects and implementation.
Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question.
Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of
Management. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable.
UBSS Online Library
Students have access to UBSS Online Library collection via myGCA portal. This access currently consists of:
EbscoHost, Proquest, Emerald, Informit and Cengage eBook collection.
Your grade will be adversely affected if your report contains no/poor citations and/or reference lists.
Task 1. Grading Rubric (25 marks)
Effective Use of Microsoft Teams (10 marks)
Each group must show:
- Evidence of Individual contribution to group project using MS Teams incl. evidence of regular meetings held and minuted.
- Evidence to show use of Microsoft Teams Apps (E.g. Microsoft Planner, chat, video chat), assign tasks and track key milestones.