How To Get Kids To Do Chores: The Role Of Conditioning In Parenting.
How to get kids to do chores: The role of conditioning in parenting.
This Discussion Board requires an understanding of learning principles and how they can be applied in parenting situations.
This assignment fulfills/Supports:
- Module Outcome: 1
- Course Outcome: 1, 3
- General Education Competencies: 1, 2, 5
For this Discussion Board, complete the following steps:
- Review the elements of Classical Conditioning, Operant Conditioning and Observational Learning in Chapter 6 of your textbook.
- Listen to the Goats and Soda podcast entitled “How To Get Your Kids To Do Chores (Without Resenting It)” (link below) and read the follow-up article “How To Get Kids To Do Chores: Does The Maya Method Work?”. The article can be accessed through the NPR website by clicking on the following link: Maya Method (opens in a new window).
In your initial post, thoroughly discuss the following:
- Explain how each of the following learning concepts are demonstrated in the “Maya Method”. Give concrete examples from the textbook, podcast and article to support your statements.
- Positive reinforcement
- Unconditioned stimuli
- Unconditioned response
- Conditioned stimuli
- Conditioned response
- Discuss the potential consequences of using physical punishment to shape children’s behavior.
Citing Sources: You must use APA style to reference your source(s) at the end of your submission. For this assignment, you must include reference information for your textbook, the podcast and the article. Information on how to format reference information (including a reference generator) in APA style can be found on the Purdue Online Writing Lab website at https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html (opens in a new window).
Acceptable Length: 300-500 word initial post; 2-3 sentence responses to at least THREE classmates.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font
- Use double line spacing in the document
- 1-inch margins all around