Individual Assignment (Word count: 2,000-2,500)
Students have to complete successfully a written individual assignment, which should be 2,000-2,500
The deadline for the individual assignment is Friday 11th December 2020 11.59pm
The assignment question is the following:
Critically assess the argument that the rise in strategic HRM has led to crisis of identity and legitimacy in the HR profession.
Kochan, T. 2004 Restoring Trust in the Human Resource Management Profession, Working Paper, The MIT Workplace Center WPC0013 Kochan restoring trust-2.pdf
Marchington M. 2015 Human Resource Management (HRM): Too busy looking up to see where it is going? Human Resource Management Review, 25: 2: 176-187 Marchington-2.pdf
Caldwell, R. and Storey, J. 2007 The HR Function: Integration or Fragmentation? Chapter 2 in John Storey (ed) Human Resource Management: A Critical Text. London, Cengage Learning, (3rd Edition) Caldwell TheHRFunctionIntegrationorFragmentationproofofChapter2inStorey2007-1.pdf
Caldwell, R. 2003 The changing roles of personnel managers: old ambiguities, new uncertainties Journal of Management Studies 40: 4: 983-1004 Caldwell joms 2003.pdf
Boudrieu, J. and Lawler, 2014 Stubbornness in HRM: Causes and Consequences, Human Resource Management Review, 24: 5: 3: 232-244 Bourdieu and Lawler -3.pdf
Guest, D. 2011 Human resource management and performance: still searching for some answers, Human Resource Management Journal, 21: 1: 3–13 Guest 2011-2.pdf
Lepak, D. and Snell J. 2008 Strategic HRM in North America: looking to the future The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19: 8: 1486–1499 Lepak and snell shrm America -1.pdf
Ulrich, D., Younger, J., Brockbank, W. and Ulrich, M. 2010 The State of the HRM Profession, The RBL White Paper Series, RBL Group Ulrich 3-1.pdf
Ulrich, D. and Dulebohn J. H. 2015 Are we there yet? What’s next for HR? Human Resource Management Review, 25: 2: 188–204 Ulrich 1-2.pdf
Wright P. M. 2008 Human Resource Strategy: Adapting to the Age of Globalization, SHRM Foundation Effective Practice Series, SHRM Foundation Wright HR_Strategy_EPG-5.pdf
Delery J E and Roumpi D 2017 Strategic human resource management, human capital and competitive advantage: is the field going in circles?, Human Resource Management Journal, 27: 1: 1–21
Assignments will be assessed according to the relevant parts of the conceptual marking system for Masters’ degree programmes as outlined in the student handbook. Any references which are cited must be included in a bibliography.
Also please note the following presentation guidelines for these assignments.
- All assignments must be word processed. Please use Times New Roman, Size 12, black typeface on white paper. Double line spacing should be used. Please insert page numbering.
- The first page of each assignment should contain your name, registration number, assignment title and word count.
- Students may be penalised for exceeding the word limit.
- Please use the Harvard referencing system. A bibliography/reference list must be provided.
- Late assignments which are not the subject of extenuating circumstances will be penalised 5% for every day late or part thereof. Where students are citing a medical reason for late submission it should be accompanied by a medical certificate. Except in extreme circumstances, extensions will not be permitted retrospectively.