You are required to write a 1500-word report, which will count for 25% of the final mark for the module. The report should present and analyse data on inward and outward foreign direct investment (FDI) to and from your designated country (see list overleaf) over the period 1990-2019 (or 2018 if 2019 data are not available). Each report should:
- Compare the inward & outward FDI data for the designated country, with the data for a “similar” country. For instance, if the designated country is the United Kingdom then an appropriate “similar” country for comparison might be France. Justify your choice of “similar” country by making reference to attributes such as size, level of economic development, membership of preferential trading arrangements (PTAs), geographical location etc.
- Download data on inward FDI stock, outward FDI stock, and GDP (at current prices) for each year from the UNCTAD database into an Excel spreadsheet. Calculate the following ratios for each year during the period 1990-2019.
- Inward FDI stock as a percentage of GDP for the designated country, the “similar” country, and the world.
- Inward FDI stock as a percentage of world inward FDI for both the designated and the “similar” country.
- Outward FDI stock as a percentage of GDP for the designated country, the “similar” country, and the world.
- Outward FDI stock as a percentage of world outward FDI for both the designated and the “similar” country.
- The net outward investment position (i.e. outward FDI stock – inward FDI stock) as a percentage of GDP for both the designated and the “similar” country.
- Any other ratios that think might be interesting.
- Present the downloaded data in suitable tables. [Provide details of the units in which the data are being measured].
- Plot the calculated ratios for the countries over the period 1990-2019 in (five) suitable charts:
- Include suitable titles for each of the five charts
- Label the axes of each of the five charts
- Provide a commentary on the ratios presented in the five charts:
- What major events might have affected inward/outward FDI from your designated country? For example, the 2016 Brexit referendum result might have had an impact on inward FDI into the UK economy in 2017-2019.
- Which ratios are increasing (decreasing) over time, and why?
- Are there any significant turning points in the trends for any of the ratios? Why?
- Is your designated country more involved in inward/outward FDI than the “similar” country? Why?
- Provide a full bibliography (in Harvard format) of any references that you consult in the preparation of the commentary.
All reports should be typed. The report should be submitted via Canvas by 1600 hours on Thursday 10 December (Week 11).
You are reminded that the coursework should be your own work, and that material copied from textbooks, from the coursework of other students, from the lecture slides, or downloaded from the internet constitutes plagiarism unless proper acknowledgement is provided. All references should be provided in standard Harvard format.