L.I.R.N. Annotated Bibliography Assignment
Assignment: Students will be assigned a body region. Each student will then be responsible for choosing one article from a peer reviewed journal using the virtual library in relation to applied anatomy and kinesiology for the assigned body region. Students must have the article approved by the instructor prior to submission of the annotated bibliography. The instructor will approve the article based on a peer reviewed journal not content or relevance to the topic. Students will then be required to write an annotated bibliography on the approved article.
Date: Students need to email a copy of the complete research article for approval on no later than
The Final assignment will be submitted on google classroom.
Instructions: Students will construct an annotated bibliography. An annotated bibliography is a list of citations of articles, books, and other publications on a particular topic. Each citation is followed by a relatively brief paragraph that summarizes the source’s argument and other relevant material including its intended audience, sources of evidence, and methodology. The assignment will be completed individually and out of class.
The annotated bibliography consists of two elements:
1. The citation in current AMA style format
2. The Annotation – The annotation should consist of one paragraph using whole complete sentences in the third person and should be approximately 150-200 words in length. The assignment should be typed, double spaced, in Times New Roman 12 font, 1” margin.
The annotation should include most, if not all, of the following:
· Explanation of main purpose
· Description of content
· Focus of article
· Relevance of topic
· Type of intended audience
· Evaluate its method, conclusion and/or reliability
· Strengths / weaknesses or biases
· Your own brief impression of the work
Assessment: The assignment will be assessed according to the criteria identified in the grading rubric on the attached page.
*Once all of the annotated bibliographies are turned in the instructor will be responsible for compiling a comprehensive annotated bibliography, which will be given to the students.
PTA 1401: Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology with Lab
L.I.R.N. assignment: annotated bibliography
This is a sample of an annotated bibliography.
1. Waters, Eric. Suggestions From the Field for Return to Sports Participation Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42.4. 326-36. Retrieved From http://www.jospt.org/issues/articleID.2737,type.2/article_detail.asp
Eric Waters’s, in his 2012 article “Suggestions From the Field for Return to Sports Participation Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction” concentrates on the treatment of ACL injuries. He supports this by setting examples of specific exercises that treat or prevent ACL injuries. His purpose is to show how treatment works with an ACL injury and explain how to prevent it, in order for others to educate themselves with the study that he has done. His intended audience is physical therapists, doctors, physicians, and athletes.
Water’s article is relevant to my topic because he focuses on rehabilitation of athletes. Stating, “Preparing a basketball player for an effective return to play requires that the final and most functional phase of the rehabilitation program encompass a thorough protocol based on exercises that maintain proper lower extremity alignment throughout all the conceivable scenarios of a basketball game,” (333) he exemplifies that it is important to perform certain exercises in order to compete at the best ability.