Nurs 340A Week 1 and 2
Complete your Week 1 required discussion prompt.
· Analyze the roots of public health nursing and its influence on practice today. What significant changes or historical events have made public health what it is today?
Complete your Week 2 required discussion prompt.
· You have heard a lot about President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
A) What are the major milestones that represent the health care reform act? B) Explain how this act helps to deliver better health care services. C) Explain the reasons why this act has been considered a long and protracted political battle.
Review the following case study and complete the questions that follow. Submit your completed paper to Blackboard using the assignment link.
As a public health nurse at a free clinic, you are assessing and interviewing a 21-year-old woman who has come to the clinic because she does not have any energy and hasn’t felt good in weeks. During the interview, you learn that she averages one meal per day, smokes up to two packs of cigarettes per day, and rummages through trash to find items she can sell to purchase food, snacks, and cigarettes. She admits to using street drugs every once in a while, when she can find someone who will share with her. She admits her life is a mess and she doesn’t know how to make it better.
· What data can you gather based on available client information?
· What questions should you ask yourself while interviewing this client?
· During planning, how can you, as the nurse, best assist this client?
· What are the potential strategies that would assist the client to a “better” life?
Your paper should be 2 pages in length, in APA format, typed in Times New Roman with 12-point font, and double-spaced with 1” margins. If outside sources are used, they must be cited appropriately.