The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered. For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned and complete your participation for this assignment by Day 7. To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use resources from the South University Online Library.
As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. Support your work, using your course lectures and textbook readings. Helpful APA guides and resources are available in the South University Online Library. Below are guides that are located in the library and can be accessed and downloaded via the South University Online Citation Resources: APA Style page. The American Psychological Association website also provides detailed guidance on formatting, citations, and references at APA Style.
• APA Citation Helper
• APA Citations Quick Sheet
• APA-Style Formatting Guidelines for a Written Essay
• Basic Essay Template
Post your initial response to one of the two topics below.
Epidemiology’s Role in Infectious and Communicable Diseases
Topic 1: Disease Outbreak
Select an infectious disease and research the CDC website for information about the disease including:
- its natural history,
- presenting symptoms, and
- outbreak characteristics
- Identify an occurrence of the disease by searching the Internet for recent reports of this disease and compare that episode or occurrence with information from the CDC website.
- How closely did that outbreak resemble the case definition?
Topic 2: Epidemiological Applications
- Describe how the concept of multifactorial etiology relates to the natural history of disease and the different levels of prevention.
- How should the nurse incorporate these concepts into health promotion of clients in community settings?
- How should the nurse approach client risk in these health promotion activities?