For this discussion, you will answer the following questions:
- What factors should be considered when dealing with decisions where the nurse and patient hold differing values?
- Give one example of a situation where patient empowerment might pose an ethical dilemma for you.
- If you feel a patient is making an unwise decision, how would you respond?
- Should there be limits on patient empowerment?
Your initial post must be posted before you can view and respond to colleagues, must contain minimum of two (2) references, in addition to examples from your personal experiences to augment the topic. The goal is to make your post interesting and engaging so others will want to read/respond to it. Synthesize and summarize from your resources in order to avoid the use of direct quotes, which can often be dry and boring. No direct quotes are allowed in the discussion board posts.Post a thoughtful response to at least two (2) other colleagues’ initial postings. Responses to colleagues should be supportive and helpful (examples of an acceptable comment are: “This is interesting – in my practice, we treated or resolved (diagnosis or issue) with (x, y, z meds, theory, management principle) and according to the literature…” and add supportive reference. Avoid comments such as “I agree” or “good comment.”
Points: 30Due Dates:
- Initial Post: Fri, Apr 23 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US.
- Response Post: Sun, Apr 25 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US – (the response posts cannot be done on the same day as the initial post).
- Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
- Response posts: Minimum of one (1) total reference: one (1) from peer-reviewed or course materials reference per response.
- Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1) page)
- Response posts: Minimum 100 words excluding references.