- The first resource provides you with some guidelines for reading any poem effectively.
- The first resource: Poetry Reading-3.pptx
- The second resource supplies you with information about the poems for this activity; this information can guide your reading of them.
- The second resource: Second Set of Poems (Duke and Mistress and Parents).pptx
- The third resource furnishes you with information about MLA in-text citations, parenthetical references, and works cited entries as they relate to poems.
- The third resource: Brief MLA Review (ENC 1102 Poetry Essay)-5.pptx
- Read “To a Daughter Leaving Home,” by Linda Pastan, on page 526; “Those Winter Sundays,” by Robert Hayden, on page 559; and “My Last Duchess,” by Robert Browning, on pages 692-694.
- Read pages 509-516 for information about the different kinds of speakers in poems.
- Answer the response items in the next section.
- Type your answers, and then save them as a Word document.
- When you are ready to submit the activity, click the blue “Submit Assignment” tab in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Next, click “Choose File” to select the file to submit, and then, click the blue “Submit Assignment” tab below the comment section. Include a comment only if one is needed.
- Select one of three assigned poems, and use complete sentences when responding.
- Identify the speaker of the poem.
- Identify two personality traits associated with the speaker, and quote lines from the poem that reveal those personality traits.
- Include a parenthetical reference at the end of the sentence with a quotation and a works cited entry for the poem.