The purpose of student discussions is to provide the opportunity for deeper understanding of polypharmacy
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Summarize the different polypharmacy definitions found within the literature. (WO1.5) (CO1)
2. Discuss polypharmacy risk factors (WO1.5) (CO1)
3. Explain thee actions steps for polypharmacy prevention (WO1.5) (CO1, 7)
Your initial discussion post should include the following:
1. Identify and discuss 2-3 definitions of polypharmacy (there are multiple definitions). Your textbook can count as 1 reference. You must also include an additional reference from an evidence-based practice journal article or national guideline.
2. Identify three risk factors that can lead to polypharmacy, especially with older aged patients. Explain the rationale for why each listed item is a risk factor. Risk factors are different than adverse drug reactions. ADRs can be a result of polypharmacy, and is important, but ADRs are not a risk factor.
3. Explore three action steps that a provider can take to prevent polypharmacy.
4. Provide an example of how your clinical preceptors have addressed polypharmacy.