Purpose: Summarize and appraise an article for bias and validity in a collaborative environment.
Instructions: Carefully read, summarize, and appraise your group’s assigned article. The discussion board for this week should cover the following concepts in order to have a complete draft by the end of the week. Apply the concepts discussed in the lecture and the readings. As you provide input to your peers, be sure to state a rationale for your claims.
1. Identify and discuss the following:
· what is known/not known about the topic and the gap in knowledge the study is intended to fill.
· the research design, purpose of the study, and setting.
· information about the sample:
· inclusion/exclusion criteria,
· attrition/loss to follow up/response rate, if any;
· important characteristics of the sample.
2. Appraise and debate the sampling methods and determine the quality of the sampling procedures in reducing bias. Consider the following questions:
· Was the sampling method and inclusion/exclusion criteria adequate to reduce sampling bias?
· Are the sample characteristics representative of the target population?
· Was the sample size adequate?
· Was there a decrease in sample size? If so, did the researchers identify decreases early and attempt to reduce the impact? Was a decrease, if any, adequately explained by the researchers?