Week 4: Quantitative and Qualitative Summary (Abstract)
This week, you will submit summaries of quantitative and qualitative studies. The purpose of this assignment is to become familiar with published research, research designs, and methodologies. For the assignment, you will select one quantitative research study and one qualitative study related to the field of nursing and related to the topic and PICOT questions that you developed in Week 2. Each summary must be accurate, succinct, and clear. The articles must be current (within the last five years).
Article choice is very important, therefore:
· Articles used for this assignment cannot be used for the other assignments (students should find new research articles for each new assignment).
· The selected articles should be original research studies. Review articles, concept analysis, meta-analysis, meta-synthesis, integrative review, and systematic review articles should not be used.
· Mixed-methods studies should not be used.
· Dissertations should not be used
Ensure the following questions are addressed in each summary:
1. What type of research is it (quantitative, qualitative, and design)? 2. What was the research question(s) or hypothesis? 3. What is the sample, the sample size, and sample attributes? 4. What was the setting of the study? 5. What were the researcher’s findings? (Identify one.)
You must submit the research study articles along with your assignment.
· Each summary should be between 150–250 words.
· Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources.
Review the rubric for further information on how your assignment will be graded.
Announcement from the Profs
You’ll need a qualitative and a quantitative nursing research article to abstract. The articles for the week 4 assignment DO NOT need to be related to your PICOT topic and I recommend that you do not use articles related to your PICOT topic. Later in the course, you will need research articles related to your PICOT topic and if you use them in Week 4, then you won’t be able to use them for that later assignment. You should start on this assignment early. This is not an assignment that can be completed at the last minute, you’ll need time to find appropriate articles and abstract them.
You must use the entire article and not an article abstract.
Please let me know if that does not make sense.
If you want to get a head start on your week 4 assignment and you start to look for a qualitative and a quantitative research article, that’s fantastic. If you are unsure about whether you have chosen appropriate articles, you can send them to me via Course Messaging. Please do not send links, download the actual article from the library and attach them to a message in Course Messaging. I will check them and help you determine whether you have a qualitative and a quantitative article or not.
There are a lot of students in this course and reviewing articles takes time. If you do not send me the articles by the Thursday before the paper is due, I likely will not have time to review your articles.
Have I told you enough that you need to start on this assignment early?
One thing that always trips up students is that you must submit the article with your abstracts. Download the article from the library and save it in pdf format. Then upload it as a document with your paper submission.