Part A – Research Report 10%
Write a report on your allocated natural disaster type answering the following questions.
- Define the terms Natural Hazard and Natural Disaster and differentiate between the two (approximately 250 words).
- Explain in detail the causes of your assigned natural disaster (approximately 250 words).
This report requires in-text referencing, a reference list and to be written in report format. It must be between 500-600 words.
Part B – eBook 15%
Create an eBook on your allocated natural disaster and choose an Australian case study. The eBook needs to have a minimum of 500 words. You must use the following website to create this eBook https://bookcreator.com/
The eBook must address the following questions in relation to your natural disaster case study.
- Location of the event and the dates when it occurred.
- Impacts of the event. This includes social, environmental and economic impacts. For each impact you need to include two referenced images to demonstrate the impact.
Within this eBook you need to include the following features:
- A video of yourself as a news presenter, warning citizens of the approaching disaster and explaining what they can do to stay safe. This needs to be approximately 2 minutes long and must include your face and voice. Remember to act the part of a news presenter.
- It needs to be creative both in layout and design. You can include more videos, audio recordings and be creative with the background and images you choose to include.
Research Report – This needs to be submitted in a word document or PDF to Study Smart before the due date.
eBook – Instructions on how to create and publish an eBook using https://bookcreator.com/ are on Study Smart. You need to follow the instruction on publication and submit this to Study Smart separately to the report.
Natural Hazard Allocations
You must do both your report and eBook on your assigned hazard below. Failure to do so will result in a zero grade.
|Class||Class Teacher||Hazard Type|
Part A Hazards Research Report (10%)
|Defines the term ‘natural hazard’||No attempt||Basic||Good||Very Good|
|Defines the term ‘natural disaster’||No attempt||Basic||Good||Very Good|
|Provides sufficient information to differentiate ‘hazard’ and
|Explains in detail the causes of this type of natural disaster||No attempt||Weak||Basic||Develo ping||Satisf actor
|Expected word limit (500-600 words) achieved||No||Yes|
|Provides a correctly formatted reference list containing reliable English language references.||No||Yes
|Uses appropriate Report format||No||Yes|
|Correctly uses intext referencing (including from quality sources)||No attempt||Attempts
Academic Language, grammar, spelling and punctuation
Total / 22
Part B eBook (15%)
|Location of the Event
|Dates when it occurred
|Social Impacts of the Event
|Images for social impacts
|None||One image||Two images|
|Environmental Impacts of the Event||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory||Good||Excellent|
|Images for environmental impacts||None||One image||Two images|
|Economic Impacts of the Event||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory||Good||Excellent|
|Images for economic impacts
|None||One image||Two images|
|Proficiency in Academic language, grammar, spelling and punctuation||Weak||Basic||Good|
|Includes an appropriate reference list and intext references from reliable,
English language references.
|No attempt||Attempts (some
|Maintains a good pace (2 minutes)||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Frequent eye contact.||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Clear, loud voice.||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Engaging content and presentation.||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Demonstrated good Role Play skills in “Acting the Part”||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
Total: /10 eBook Layout and Design
|Creative Layout||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Creative Design||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Use of more videos and audio recordings||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|
|Creative Background and Images||No attempt||Basic||Satisfactory|