Sexual Identity Development
Chapter 12 of the course textbook discusses the issues of identity development during adolescence. Based in part on the textbook readings and the 60 Minutes videos listed as Required References for this week, consider what you learned about the topic and your reaction to what you read.
In your initial post:
· Identify what you consider to be a sexual identity-related problem or issue that is of importance to you and to society and culture.
· Identify and evaluate the key positions and theoretical arguments relating to your issue.
· Include in your discussion comments on what you have learned about the reasons for differences in sexual orientation (e.g., from biological, cultural, or physiological causes).
· Ground all positions and conclusions in theory and evidence.
Mossler, R. A., & Ziegler, M. (2016). Understanding development: A lifespan perspective. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
· Chapter 5: Physical Development: Brain and Body Section 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4
· Chapter 6: Health and Wellness
· Chapter 12: Gender and Sexuality
American Psychological Association. (2011). Practice guidelines for LGB clients: Guidelines for psychological practice with lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients (Links to an external site.) . Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/guidelines.aspx (Skim and familiarize yourself with the 21 Guidelines for LGBT Clients.)
Finkelstein, S. (2006). 20/20: Exploring sexual orientation: Gay or straight, Part 1 (Links to an external site.) [Video file]. New York, NY: CBS Corporation. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZoRbP-0WM
Finkelstein, S. (2006). 20/20: Exploring sexual orientation: Gay or straight, Part 2 (Links to an external site.) [Video file]. New York, NY: CBS Corporation. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLAof9oXCI