The United Nations has hired you to be a consultant on global issues and one of the challenges is assessing the impact of population growth. There is no question that the world population will grow dramatically in the next decade throughout the world. The UN is working to understand the impact that population growth has on society, specifically in developing countries. Your first project is to develop a white paper (a synonym for assessment used in diplomatic circles) on three issues related to the population growth faced by one of these countries. Read the brief assessment below and answer the three questions below.
The world’s population is expanding at such a rate that some natural resources are being stripped from the environment. This assignment deals with how global institutions are working to prevent the loss of these resources and the consequences of not having access to them.
For your white paper, research the impact of population growth on society and write a minimum of four pages assessing this impact, citing at least five credible sources in your research. As you compose your paper, review the United Nations list of developing countries (available on the United Nations website) and select one country to use as an example throughout your assessment. Please include:
- A cover page with your name, title of course, date, and the name of your instructor.
- A one-half page introduction.
- A middle section that is numbered and divided into three one-page sections. Each of these sections should answer one of the following questions:
- What are greenhouse gases? How do they contribute to global warming?
- What kinds of economic, security, political, and other challenges do these emissions pose to the people of the developing world, and who are the biggest offenders?
- Is there any way to control the growth of population on a global level?
- A one-half page conclusion.
- This makes it a minimum total of four pages.
- Cite at least five credible sources excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries and encyclopedias for your assessment.
- For a brief list of resources for this assignment, please see the end of the course guide.
This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different compared to other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to evaluate the impacts of population growth and its negative impacts on global societies while considering multiple perspectives. Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric:
Assignment 1 — The Social Impact of Population Growth
Exemplary 90–100% A
Proficient 80–89% B
Fair 70–79% C
Meets Minimum Expectations 60–69% D
Unacceptable Below 60% F
Defined greenhouse gases and their connection to global warming
Explained economic, security and political challenges that emissions pose to the developing world. Listed the major offenders
Included an opening paragraph and a conclusion for this section of the whitepaper
Clarity, writing mechanics, syntax and formatting
Cited at least five credible references
Majority are primary sources