Respond to any 1 prompt from each chapter in an original discussion post by midnight, Day 4 of Week 3.
After you respond to 2 prompts in an original post, you are also required to provide substantive responses to at least 2 of your classmates’ posts and to remain active on at least 2 additional days during Week 3.
Chapter 5 – Socialization
- Briefly describe the various agents of socialization. Which of the agents of socialization was the most important in your own upbringing and why? Provide two specific examples of values learned and how can you relate it to the agent of socialization. Lastly, will agents of socialization be different for your own children than they were for you?
- Explain two different theories of self-development in relationship to your own development of self.
- Explain why socialization matters? Then, describe the concepts – anticipatory socialization, resocialization, and degradation ceremony and provide at least one example for each concept, from your life.
Chapter 3 – Culture
- Explain ethnocentrism and cultural relativism in detail. Provide two examples of ethnocentrism in the media and explain how the subject could be addressed differently to be more in line with cultural relativism. Lastly, share a time in which you felt culture shock. Was it a positive or negative experience?
- Differentiate between high culture and popular culture and provide two examples of each. How do your examples of popular culture influence your culture? Do you think technology has a more positive or negative effects on culture? Give two examples of how technology has influenced your own culture.
- Identify a current event and utilize one of the sociological theoretical perspectives (E.g., Functionalism, Conflict theory, or Symbolic Interactionism) to explain the possible cultural influences of the event. Use concepts where ever relevant.