Individual assignment – 1 – BSCL 311 Page 1
Assessment Instrument Cover Sheet
Course Code: BSCL 311 Course Title: Strategic Procurement and Sourcing
Semester: Fall 20-21 Academic Year: 2020-2021
Assessment Instrument: (Individual Assignment) Due Date: 28 September 2020
Course Instructor: Dr. Fahad Mehmood
College/Department: Dubai Business School This assessment instrument assesses the following Course Learning Outcomes (CLO):
CLO # CLO Description Question SN Question Total
CLO1 Define the main concepts relevant
to purchasing/sourcing Q(1) 5
CLO 2 Explain the activities and
strategies of purchasing in the
supply chain management and
the key stages of sourcing process
CLO 3 Apply the purchasing theory to
the CIPS (chartered Institute of
Purchasing and supply) code of
ethics in the UAE and GCC
Total Mark /15
*Linkages to Program Outcomes and Concentration Outcomes are provided in the Syllabus.
Student Name: …………………………………………………………………………….
Student ID No: …………………………………………………………………………….
Individual assignment – 1 – BSCL 311 Page 2
Read the Instructions carefully before answering the Questions:
1. Answer each question separately based on your learning and knowledge on Strategic Procurement and Sourcing. It is recommended to use a company from UAE/GCC market and
used it as an example for each question’ answer.
2. You are expected to submit this Individual assignment (Electronic copy via Moodle’s submission system only through the Turnitin file ” Submit your assignment 1 here”) by
Monday 28 September 2020.
3. This individual assignment contains a total of 15 marks.
4. Use some journal article references from the leading international journals such as Emerald, Inderscience and IGI Publications New York.
5. Plagiarism should be as less as possible as per UD policy. To avoid plagiarism, you can still edit your work upon receiving the matching report from Turnitin. If that is the case, you need to
communicate it to me in writing via email. Note that if the percentage of matching in your
assignment is ≥ 20%, you will receive a zero grade for this assignment. Unfortunately, for some
of you, this may mean failing the course. So please be careful here.
6. Mark will be deducted for surpassing the word limit ((2,000 words) by more than 10% on either side. To avoid losing marks, you can include any tables, graphs, attachments in the
7. If you have any questions, please send your email to email@example.com.
Individual assignment – 1 – BSCL 311 Page 3
INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNEMNT QUESTIONS
Assume the role of vice president of manufacturing or service company. You are thinking
about the forthcoming annual meeting of top-level managers of manufacturing/delivery,
engineering, marketing, and product/service design to discuss strategic planning and the new
competitive strategies and orientation of your company. In order to improve competitiveness,
you want to highlight the role of procurement in supply chain.
Write a detailed report outlying:
Q1: What are some of the factors that might influence how important purchasing is to the
success of an organization?
Q2: Discuss the contributions a purchasing department can make to the corporate strategic
Q3: Why do some firms no longer rely only on competitive bidding when awarding purchase
Individual assignment – 1 – BSCL 311 Page 4
Each question marks assessment criteria is weighted as:
15% of the mark = poor – the question is attempted with minimal effort
25% of the mark = fair – moderate/ incomplete contextual answers.
50% of the mark = average – either examples or the contextual explanations are given
80% of the mark = satisfactory – both contextual explanations and the supporting examples are given
100% of the mark = excellent – along with the contextual explanations and the supporting examples, the answers are supported with constructive discussions.