You will be expected to demonstrate your ability to therapeutically and non-therapeutically communicate with a mental health “patient” (your classmate). The goal of this assignment is to practice your communication skills in a realistic scenario. Each scenario must be at least 1 minute long if recording, and every student must complete two scenarios (one scenario for therapeutic and one scenario for non-therapeutic; both scenarios can be on one video or written format)
You will be expected to video or write a scenario with a partner in which you are the nurse and your partner is the patient. There are several scenarios that you may choose from (see the list at the bottom of this page) or you can create your own. You should role play the scenario first as a nurse using non-therapeutic communication techniques and then replay the same scenario as a nurse using therapeutic communication techniques as explained in chapter 9 of your text. These techniques can include both nonverbal and verbal techniques.
It is okay to write a script for this assignment,.
Possible Scenarios to choose from:
· nurse completing an admission assessment on a patient who is homeless and has major depressive disorder
· nurse triaging a patient in the ER who has suffered a head injury and is uncooperative
· home health nurse meeting with a patient who is diabetic and is grieving the recent loss of her husband of 20 years
· OB home health nurse completing a postpartum check on a patient with postpartum depression
· nurse in long-term care completing an assessment on a patient with dementia
|NM230 Therapeutic Communication Assignment|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeTherapeutic and Nontherapeutic communication video or paper||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCreativity||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAdherence to Instructions||
|Total Points: 20|