Week 10 Assignment – Professional Cover Letter
Watch the Professional Cover Letter Assignment Video Walkthrough.
Note: The specific book information mentioned and shown in the recording has changed. Refer to the following assignment instructions for correct page numbers in BCOM 9th edition. Individual sections may have different policies regarding submitting work early for review. Please check with your professor.
Completing this assignment will help you identify the skills and abilities that will move your career forward. You will develop a job application cover letter. For this assignment, you may present yourself as a recent graduate if needed.
- Find a specific job opening posted online within the last nine months.
- Write a cover letter as though you are applying for the position. Highlight and emphasize why you are the most suitable candidate for the position.
- Complete the cover letter on page 1 of the submission; include a working link to the job post on page 2.
- Follow the general writing guidelines on pages 266 and 267 in the text for structural and content guidance for a business letter. Note: An example can be found on page 263, Figure 13.8.
- The job letter or application message must adhere to the following requirements:
- Highlight relevant background and job history information specific to the opening.
- Emphasize significant qualifications and exclude nonessential information.
- Follow proper letter formatting techniques per business letter format.
- Use an appropriate and professional greeting and closing.
- Use professional language.
- Develop concise, effective paragraphs with six or seven sentences, if possible.
- Make sure there are no grammar or spelling errors.
- Eliminate wordiness and unclear sentence construction.
- Submit your assignment in Blackboard.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Persuade audience of qualifications in the form of a cover letter.